11.19.2009

crossing the bar









i've been collecting antique tennyson books for ages...i was super pleased to find this little book illustrating his poem, crossing the bar. the whole book is lithograph by a small publisher with gold accents and gorgeous illustrations. it's really a lovely little thing and i will gladly add it to my collection.
here is the poem within:

Sunset and evening star,
And one clear call for me!
And may there be no moaning of the bar,
When I put out to sea.
But such a tide as moving
seems asleep,
Too full for
sound and foam,
When that which
drew from out
the boundless deep
Turns again home.
Twilight and evening bell,
And after that the dark!
And may there be
no sadness of farewell,
When I embark;
For tho' from out
our bourne of Time and Place
The flood may bear me far,
I hope to see
my Pilot face to face
When I have crost the bar.


(how lovely would this be paired with ezra pounds' the river merchant's wife: a letter? ~perhaps my favorite poem of all~)

crossing the bar by alfred lord tennyson
circa 1900, the hayes lithographing co., buffalo, new york
illustrator not credited

No comments: